2nd Asia-Pacific Meeting on Education 2030 (APMED2030)
Senior officials from ministries of education from 32 countries, representatives from sub-regional, intergovernmental organizations, civil society, UN agencies, UNESCO institutes and academia across the Asia-Pacific region will convene at the 2nd Asia-Pacific Meeting on Education 2030 (APMED2030 II) from 16-18 November 2016 at the Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand.
Since the first APMED2030 and in line with its Outcome Document, several countries have organized national consultations on the integration of SDG4 targets into their national plans. The regional Education for All (EFA) coordination and partnership has been reformed and the newly renamed Thematic Working Group on Education 2030+ Co-Chairs (UNESCO and UNICEF) have been working together at the country level with partners to support Member States’ efforts in integrating SDG4-Education 2030 into national process and plans. Intergovernmental bodies such as the South Asia Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) have also been promoting and accelerating the SDG4-Education 2030 agenda at the sub-regional level.
UNESCO has also initiated the process of engagement and dialogue with Member States to develop regional technical implementation guidelines to support and guide the implementation process. As such, APMED2030 II will be organized under this context. In view of this, the overarching objective of this meeting is to agree on the SDG4-Education 2030 Implementation Roadmap for Asia and the Pacific.
The meeting will also aim to achieve the following objectives:
• To officiate the regional network of national SDG4 coordinators
• To update Member States on the latest global, regional, sub-regional and national developments on SDG4-Education 2030
• To share experiences and identify the challenges and opportunities (resources, capacity, infrastructure, etc.) at the country level in the implementation of SDG4-Education 2030
• To discuss and agree on the region’s implementation strategy, key priorities, milestones, and actions towards the achievement of SDG4-Education 2030
Focusing on key priorities, milestones and actions needed and to be followed up for the implementation of SDG4 - Education 2030, the outputs of APMED2030 II will contribute to global level processes of SDG4-Education 2030. At the regional level, the following outputs will be produced:
• Terms of Reference (ToR) of the regional network of national SDG4 coordinators
• Documentation of Member States’ planning and localization processes of SDG4-Education 2030
• Draft annotated outline of the regional technical implementation guidelines
• Draft regional implementation roadmap, clarifying key priorities, milestones, and actions towards the achievement of SDG4-Education 2030
APMED2030 II is co-organized by UNESCO Bangkok - Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and the UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office (EAPRO) and Regional Office for South Asia (ROSA), with support from the Government of Japan.