The global launch of the 2023 GEM Report on technology in education will take place on 26-27 July 2023 in Montevideo, Uruguay, a country that is widely recognized for its pioneering stance on technology in education. This is the first time that the global launch of the report is taking place in Latin America.
Co-hosted by the Ministry of Education and Culture of Uruguay and Ceibal Foundation , the global launch event will bring together ministers of education and ministers of information and communications technology, alongside regional organizations, international donors, parents, teachers, civil society, and representatives from the private sector. With the help of the recommendations and policy examples in the GEM Report, as well as more than 200 PEER country profiles on technology and education, the event aims to promote a high-level dialogue around the opportunities and challenges for the use of technology in education, and the conditions that need to be met for technology to support the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 on education.
A series of side-events will be organized on 26 and 27 July in partnership with Ceibal Foundation and other key stakeholders.
High-level segment on 26 July
On 26 July the world's top education experts will gather in Montevideo, Uruguay for the global launch of the 2023 Global Education Monitoring Report on technology in education. During the event, ministers of education, experts and members of the education community will reflect on the key messages and recommendations of the 2023 GEM Report.
The launch will combine introductory interventions by UNESCO’s Director General, Audrey Azoulay and His Excellency Luis Lacalle Pou, President of the Republic of Uruguay (to be confirmed), followed by a presentation of the key findings of the 2023 GEM Report by its Director, Manos Antoninis. A high-level panel featuring the ministers of education and key global speakers will reflect on the Report’s findings and introduce their own experiences on the use of technology and education.
- Stefania Giannini, Assistant Director General for Education, UNESCO
- Doreen Bogdan-Martin, Sectretary-General, International Telecommunication Union (pre-recorded video)
- Kristina Kallas, Minister of Education and Research, Estonia (pre-recorded video)
- David Sengeh, Chief Minister of Sierra Leone (pre-recorded video)
- Camilo Santana, Minister of Education, Brazil
- José Mauricio Pineda, Minister of Education and Science, El Salvador
- Jaime Saavedra, Regional Director for Human Development, Latin America and the Caribbean, World Bank
- Garry Conille, Director, UNICEF Latin America and the Caribbean Regional Office and former Prime Minister of Haiti (pre-recorded video)
- Verna Labaharie, Executive Director, EdTech Hub
- Leandro Folgar, President, Ceibal and Ceibal Foundation
We hope you can join us!
Events on 26 July
A series of high-level events will be organized after the global launch:
- A south-to-south dialogue where ministers of education from Latin America and Africa will be invited to share their experiences and react to the recommendations of the report.
- A closed roundtable with ministers of education, UNESCO representatives and heads of international organizations from Latin America focusing on digital skills.
- The annual meeting of the Alliance for the Digitization of Education in Latin America (ADELA).
- A side-event with private providers looking at their role in supporting the sustainable development of education in the region.
15 ministers of education and more than 100 international experts will gather in Montevideo to attend the global launch of the 2023 GEM Report on technology and education.
We invite you to consult the latest version of the agenda here.
- In-person participation by invitation only
- The event will be streamed live. Please register via this link.
- For any questions please contact us at: