14 June 2022 - 7 July 2022
Post Number: 4AFED0019PA
Parent Sector: Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Kabul
Job Family: Education
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration of contract: 1 year
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 7 July 2022
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO’s Education Data Monitoring Initiative for Afghanistan (EDMI) is a key intervention on facilitating the implementation of the Afghanistan Education Sector Transitional Framework (AESTF). The initiative intends to coordinate education data monitoring efforts in Afghanistan. In particular, it aims to provide up-to-date data on the Higher Education and Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET), harmonize and quality assure existing data on general education and community-based education (CBE) to facilitate monitoring the state of education in general and girls and women rights to education in particular and decision making by the key education actors in Afghanistan. It also aims to standardize data collection methodologies and tools and assess the teacher competencies and students learning outcomes to link the data monitoring initiative with the UNESCO mandate in improving quality of education. Through adopting a coordinated approach to data monitoring, the initiative also strengthens the coordination of data monitoring by the development partners and education stakeholders and supports monitoring and evaluation of the AESTF.
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office in Afghanistan, and direct supervision from the Head of the Education Unit, the incumbent will assist in the planning, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation of EDMI activities in Afghanistan. This includes the following functions, but not limited to:
Plan, implement, monitor and evaluate activities, including preparing briefing papers, studies/assessments, drafting terms of reference of consultancies and contractors to find appropriate expertise, monitoring and reviewing national technical consultants’ and contractors’ work and supporting the enhancement of knowledge management and visibility of the initiative’s outputs, including preparing advocacy articles and social media posts;
Coordinate programme implementation by supervising all administrative and budgetary aspects of the EDMI initiative in Afghanistan, including periodic reporting and budget monitoring and revisions;
Manage and adjust as needed work plans to address identified gaps and priority areas through close collaboration with national and international counterparts, including with a view to supporting gender equality;
Organize and coordinate events such as conferences, consultation meetings and seminars and other data monitoring activities for diverse target groups according to the approved project document and work plan and prepare and document minutes of key internal and external meetings;
- Co-lead the Monitoring and Evaluation Working Group under the Education Development Partners’ Group to ensure coordination among education stakeholders active in education data monitoring and to explore potential areas of collaboration;
- Liaise, collaborate and maintain active presence in meetings and events with UNESCO's partners, including, UN agencies, inter-governmental organizations, donor organisations, development partners, academic institutions, civil society organisations (e.g. NGOs, private sector), etc. Also coordinate and facilitate engagement with the de facto authorities within the framework of the UN Transitional Engagement Framework and development partners’ guidelines ;
- Provide necessary technical input and policy advice to project areas relating to education data monitoring initiative in Afghanistan;
- Keep abreast of education data monitoring activities in Afghanistan and identify best practices to advise UNESCO and UN agencies, development partners and relevant national stakeholders on the effective implementation of the initiative;
- Advocate for UNESCO and contribute to strategic planning of UNESCO Office in Afghanistan’s resource mobilization efforts by way of identifying prospective donors, building and fostering relations, and developing concept notes/proposals; and
- Perform any other tasks as requested by the supervisors, particularly in regard to contributing to the planning and implementation of the initiative and other related education programmes and projects.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, social sciences, economics, development studies or a related field.
- Minimum four years of relevant work experience in education, education data monitoring and management, education reforms or/and education in emergencies or related fields of which preferably, two years of relevant work experience acquired at international level.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent understanding of data management and monitoring particularly in the conflict-affected settings.
- Excellent understanding of development partners’ expectations and trends in the education sector.
- Excellent project management skills, including results-based management, financial management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Strong sensitivity and adaptability in conflict affected, post-conflict countries and diversity (culture, gender, religion, race and nationality).
- Integrity, reliability and sense of commitment in the execution of duties.
- Excellent coordination and organizational skills.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships;
- Ability to work under pressure, to manage heavy workloads and to meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to detail and quality of work.
- Strong IT skills including good knowledge of standard office software and online collaboration tools.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Advanced university degree (PhD) in education, social sciences, economics, development studies or a related field.
- At least two years of experience in programme planning, monitoring and evaluation in the context of UN system; and
- Previous work experience in developing countries or crisis-affected contexts.
- Knowledge of the national languages of Afghanistan (Dari and/or Pashto).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.