2 - 15 February 2021
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: Field Operations Coordination
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 15 February 2021
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO is fully committed to the implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG) reform launched on 1st January 2019, which intends to improve the UN’s presence in the field in support of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and SDGs. At the regional level, UNESCO is contributing to the ongoing reform of the UN architecture and to the drive to strengthen collaboration between UN regional entities in the field, while adapting to the changes under way from both a structural and programmatic point of view.
In support to this enhanced need for coordination, and under the direct supervision of the Director of the Regional Office, the UN Coordination Officer will provide support and contribute to ensure the full participation of the Regional Office in the UN development system joint cooperation under the Regional Collaorative Platform (RCP).
In this regard, the incumbent will provide support to the Director of the Regional Office in liaising with the RCP to enhance the UN system collaboration and system-wide coherence within the framework of the UN reform, improve UNESCO's representation at the regional level within the RCP and support the Organization’s full participation and contribution in UN system action.
The incumbent will also ensure the overall coordination and technical preparation and participation in the RCP related-issues such as engagement in its Issue Based Coalitions (IBCs) and Means of Implementation Groups with focus on UNESCO’s contribution in the field of eudcaiton and enhance strategic relastion between RCP and UNCT activities especially in Thailand and Laos PDR by:
- Ensure necessary technical preparation and participation of the Regional Office (UNESCO Bangkok) in the coordination systems, processes and meetings of the RCP as well as UNESCO Bangkok invovlement in UNCT activiites;
- Provide support to the Director of Office to strategically position UNESCO as a key partner within the RCP and promote integrated approaches with the wider UN system in UNESCO’s fields of competence, including effective coordination with Regional Thematic Working Group on Education 2030+ and other relevant networks, the elaboration of support material and analysis to be shared with the RCP;
- Support the Director of the Office in the review, development and implementation of UNSDG and other UN reform initiatives as regards UNESCO through collection, analysis and dissemination of information related to the reform, UNESCO’s involvement in the UNSDG,UNSDG global collaboration and other UN Reform and UNCT activities in the region.
- Provide assistance to the field offices in the region in enhancing communication and collaboration with the Regioal Office as well as ensuring UNESCO’s substantial integration in UNSDCFs and appropriate alignment of UNESCO’s country strategies with UNSDCFs.
- Support communication related to UNESCO’s participation in UNSDG and other related regional coordination both within the RCP and UNESCO.
- Support the Regional Office to develop strategic and programming documents, statutory reports and reports to ADG/PAX and UNESCO Governing Bodies regarding UNESCO’s involvment in the UNSDG and on UNSDG global collaboration in the region.
- Support cooperation with other regional and intergional organizations as appropriate.
The incumbent works within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategies (C/4s), approved Programmes and Budgets (C/5s), the Operational Strategy for the Implementation of Priority Africa and the Priority Gender Equality Action Plan as well as within the framework of international agreed development agendas as Agenda 2030 and Agenda 2063 for the Africa region.